The narrow, conical bottom of this light-green glass bowl lamp would have been placed in a polykandelon, a type of candelabra. In order to light the lamp, one would pour water and oil into the glass vessel and the oil would rise to the top of the water level. Then a wick and wick holder would be placed inside the lamp and would float in the liquid. Once the lit wick had used up the layer of oil, the water would extinguish the wick and the fire would go out.
Provenience: Level II of Room 1055, Byzantine Reservoir
Date: 400-500 CE
Height: 6.2 cm
Object Number: 29-105-748